New Apple Updates Make Impact at EHS

AP

FILE – In this June 8, 2015, file photo, Craig Federighi, Apple senior vice president of Software Engineering, demonstrates the multitask feature on an iPad at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. With the upcoming iOS 9 update, you can slide a window from the right of an iPad to launch a second app, such as a map when you’re doing email. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu, File)

Allison Stopka, Staff Writer

Apple is well known for its suspenseful releases, and they always manage to somehow get every iPhone fan hyped up for the drop of the new phone. Last Friday, Sept. 11, Apple released all of the information about the new iOS 9, and the new models have students at EHS talking, both positively and negatively.

While the most widely recognized update is the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, Apple released additional updates and added new features that not many people are aware of.

Information about the iPad Pro was released, and one of the biggest features is its size. The new iPad has a 12.9 inch screen, making it larger than the MacBook, and more comparable to a laptop than a tablet.  While this newest model is not available until November, it has made some considerable changes to the previous iPads.

A companion to the iPad Pro is the Apple Pencil. Although this addition to the Apple family seems pointless, this new feature is highly advanced, and will be used by many designers, engineers, contractors and anybody looking to make the iPad more user friendly.

The iPad Pro can recognize whether the user is using a finger or the Pencil, and when using the Pencil, the tablet scans at 240 times per second, and therefore, there is almost no lag. The iPad and Apple Pencil can also recognize pressure, and the harder one presses, the thicker the line. This same principle is applicable with shading; just tilt the Pencil and the sensors will produce a shading effect.

While some students know all about the new updates and features, other students have no idea about the new phone even, and do not really care to know more.

“I have not heard a single thing about the new iPhone; I don’t even know when it’s coming out,” said senior Matt Haas.

The release date of the iOS 9 was Sept. 11, it was available for pre-order on Sept. 12, and can be bought in stores on Sept. 25. While the 6s is just a new generation of the 6, Apple promises big changes to come with this new phone model.

While the new generation has some small technological changes, it is not overly different than the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. A major, fascinating change is the 3-D touch.

What this allows the user to do is to Peek and Pop images, websites, emails and locations. One can look at essentially a preview of the information before actually opening the content. 3-D touch also allows the user to take shortcuts  throughout the homepage and apps. This feature is called Quick Action, and makes usability much better.

Two technical changes that I am extremely excited for are the Live Photos and Dynamic Wallpapers. Live Photos capture images before and after the actual photo, and combined with 3-D touch, the user can go back to these photos and watch a short GIF of the moment. Dynamic Wallpapers is an advancement of the current iOS feature. One can set a Live Photo as their background, which creates interesting photos and wallpapers.

While the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are both the same sizes as the previous models, the new models will come in four different colors; silver, space gray, gold and rose gold. The quality of images is of course better, and taking high definition photos provides for an even better experience.

It is easy to see why most people are not interested in purchasing a brand new phone for a small fortune. The iPhone 6s starting at $649, and 6s Plus starting at $749, and while the iPhone 6 was $549, and 6 plus was $649, it can be a little difficult to understand the $100 price difference.

Apple has branded this new model as “the only thing that’s changed is everything,” but some students and iPhone fans disagree greatly.

Senior Weston Hicks thinks that the new generation of the 6 is somewhat of a waste.

“The second generations of a phone are never much different than the first,” Hicks said. “The 6s is just a slightly upgraded 6.”