Day of the Dead With a Tiger Twist

On Nov. 7 the Spanish Club put on the Day of the Dead parade for all Spanish classes.

Day of the Dead is a Spanish holiday that celebrates the nonliving and the lives that they lived at one time. For two days people celebrate the Day of the Dead by dancing and singing, which is exactly what the Spanish Club did.

“You can look at the parade and think it is crazy and weird, or you can see it in the way Mexicans celebrate it; as a celebration from birth to death and a way to honor those they have lost.” Ms. Thuenemann said, a Spanish teacher at EHS and one of the people who helped the parade become successful.

Starting as babies, diapers included, students jump from desk to desk and eventually develop into adults. Each stage of life was shown during the parade to represent that there can be deaths that come to very young people and very old people.

Some performances were funny, like Mr. Mendoza and Ms. Beck look-a-likes dancing around the room, but some were dark. Throughout the parade, different carts were covered with pictures of people who have passed away. Oscar Taveras, former Cardinals rookie, appeared three times.

There were a number of dances including Latin, Merengue, hip hop and even ballet with two knights, a damsel and a windmill. The Merengue and hip hop dance contained “a lot of hips” senior Isabella Lilley said, who was, in fact, the dancer who performed this collaboration. These three dances had people clapping and cheering along, encouraging the dancers to stay upbeat.

The parade came to a sad end with some time to spare at the end of the hour where students chattered about what their favorite performance was.

Junior T.J. Hook’s favorite performance was one of the opening acts with the four babies because it was more memorable to him. “I remember the boy jumping from desk to desk,” Hook said.

The parade was upbeat and at times sad, with the photos of people who have passed away, but was pulling the audience in with every skit whether it was making them laugh or Beetlejuice scaring them a little bit. Throughout the show there were different acts like dances, gymnastics and some were just pushing carts around showing how the Mexicans actually decorate their carts and shrines during this time.

EHS showed students how cultures celebrate the Day of the Dead in just under 50 minutes. The performances continue to amaze students who are watching, becoming longer and different every year and still teaching students something new in the process.

Eden Coppersmith
Eden Coppersmith, Staff Writer
Eden Coppersmith is a junior at Edwardsville High School. Her favorite subject is, of course, journalism. She likes to watch movies with her family, go to concerts and play sand volleyball on the weekends with her friends. Eden loves music and her favorite thing to do is go to concerts. The best concert she has ever been to was the Story So Far. Eden wishes to go to college somewhere far away but close enough to home so she does not need to get on a plane. She wishes to pursue Journalism in college and hopefully finding a career in journalism as well.