Seniors Snatch Senioritis Bug

There comes a time in every student’s academic career that seems inevitable.  After three years of high school, focus and motivation plummet and it all begins.  If you are a senior, it is probably happening now. 

Defined by Merriam-Webster as “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidence by tardiness, absences, and lower grades,” senioritis is a disease-like phenomenon that sweeps over high school seniors.  As graduation nears, motivation and desire to perform well decrease. 

Often evident by tardies, frequent absences, incomplete homework assignments and a lack of studying, senioritis is triggered for various reasons.  By their fourth year in high school, many students feel that they are ready to move on and that they can no longer focus in school. Once a student finalizes his or her plans for when high school ends, it gets even worse.

“It’s just the thought that we’re about to go off to college,” senior Josiah Accola said. “There’s not a need to do much else in high school because it’s not going to get reflected.” 

Seniors have been trying to combat their senioritis throughout the year, but find it hard to find motivation.  Teachers try to get their students motivated but nothing seems to work.

“With only a month left of school there’s a lot going on and it’s extremely hard to focus on the teachers,” senior Demi Hillmer said.

Hillmer said at this point in the year, college and summer areall she can think about.

“I think we are all ready to be done now, so it’s hard to focus,” she said.

As EHS seniors finish up the year and try to stay on task, there is only one cure for the bug. Graduation.