Views on Our Lack of Winter Vary Greatly

This year has been a disappointment to snow-sports enthusiasts and students alike as the predication for an onslaught of white powder for the 2011-2012 season fell way below expectations.

The nine snow days of last school year made it seem as though Edwardsville was the new Aspen. In comparison to years past, we had almost two times as many snow days last year. Accumulation peaked in the mid 30″, and in a three day span, 22″ of those 30-something inches fell.

This year has not come near those levels. With half an inch of total accumulation for this winter and temperature highs averaging out at 41 degrees, the last leg of 2011 could rightfully be dubbed the endless summer.

After much anticipation for another “big” year, fueled by the mid-October news broadcasters claiming it to be one of the largest snowfall years on record, it felt as though we had been betrayed by some unknown snow god when nothing came.

Most EHS students shared the same feelings of agony. “I was really mad because I never got to participate in a snowball fight,” said junior Adam Douglas.

Snow days are more magical than holidays because they spring upon you unannounced. A school year without a snow day is like taking away winter break.

As mid-January came and hopes and dreams began to die completely, something astounding happened. It snowed. It didn’t snow enough to, say, cancel school for a week, but there was finally hope.

But suddenly, attitudes changed. Students were ready for spring. Some people were whining about the cold weather; some were criticizing the administration for not canceling school. People were being complete hypocrites. “I’ve enjoyed the warm weather because its given me a chance to practice baseball,” said junior Jordan Heckler.

The hallways echoed with complaints of the lack of snow. But once the cold weather makes it way to Edwardsville, everyone seems to be ready for spring. It’s like high school students can never truly be content with anything.

If you are going to complain about a lack of snow days, then do not whine about the frigid air when it comes. If you hope for a quick school year, do not then cry over the fact that half an inch does not put you at enough danger to call off school.