Softball Team Comes Back With Win

Mason Kane

Now junior Avery Hamilton plays in a game against Belleville East in her sophomore season

Logan Roever, Staff Writer

The Tigers shut out the Gillespie Miners on March 21 at home in a decisive 10-0 win. 

This win came six days after the Tigers lost their season opener to Freeburg 10-6, and their scheduled game for March 19 was rained out. After their loss, this win meant a lot for the team. 

“We were really disappointed in our performance that day,” head coach Lori Blade said. “We are better than that, and we just kinda sat back and didn’t take charge and be aggressive that day. But today, obviously, we changed that around and good things happened because we worked really hard in the six days after that loss.” 

With 12 hits, the Tigers made a strong offensive effort against Gillespie, which according to Blade, is an impressive pitching team. 

After the Tigers scored two runs in the first, courtesy of sophomore Jillian Lane and senior Sydney Lawrence, Gillespie pitcher Emma Gipson held them to a 2-0 score until the 5th inning. 

Edwardsville starting pitcher, senior Brooke Tolle, made her first start of the season and allowed only one hit.

“It feels great, but it wasn’t all me,” Tolle said of her shutout. “I’ve got my teammates at bat really helping me out with confidence, and I’ve got them behind me making sure that nothing gets through, so I’m really appreciative of that.” 

The Tigers offense ignited in the 5th inning, all starting from a walk and subsequent stolen base by junior Zoie Boyd. Junior Avery Hamilton hit a double to bring Boyd home and made the score 3-0. 

RBIs followed from senior Emily Wolff with a double, Lawrence with a triple, senior Lexie Griffin with a double and senior Tatum Van Ryswyk with a double. 

Heading into the 6th inning 7-0, the Tigers finished off the game with three more runs, starting with a hit from senior Ryleigh Owens and an RBI from Hamilton. After an error at third, both players were able to score runs on the hit. 

“It feels great, especially after our loss against Freeburg, being able to come up and attack at the plate,” Hamilton said. “Especially as a team, we all hit great.” 

With an RBI triple from Wolff, the game was over after the score became 10-0; Mercy Rule forced the game to end because the Tigers had a 10-run advantage past the 5th inning. 

Scoring two runs for the Tigers, Lawrence said the team’s performance against Gillespie was a remedy for their Freeburg loss. 

“It’s great to be able to do this for our team,” Lawrence said. “We really needed a pick-me-up after the game we played last time, so it’s really good that we could bring all the energy to this game.” 

The Tigers hope to carry their momentum from this game throughout their season, and they next play the Breese Central Cougars at home on Friday, March 25.

“I think we’re going to do great as a team, and I think that we’re going to hit well and have solid defense,” Hamilton said. “I think we’re going to go far in the conference and at state.”