O’Fallon Abruptly Ends Edwardsville Season

Jack Pifer, Views Editor

After opening up the postseason as the top seed, a loss to O’Fallon at the sectional championships was unexpected for the Edwardsville girls basketball team.

The game looked as if it was won with a double-digit lead coming into the fourth quarter, but the team was unable to hang on to secure the win.

O’Fallon surpassed Edwardsville, scoring 21 points in the time that Edwardsville was only able to score four.

Sophomore Sydney Harris, who scored 16 points in the sectionals game knows now never to get too comfortable. 

“I learned that you gotta come prepared for every game and not look over any team,” Harris said.

While the loss at sectionals left EHS with a bitter taste, team members say they have much to be proud of.

“Winning 27 games is always exciting…,” sophomore Katelynne Roberts said. “Our overtime against O’Fallon to clinch the Southwestern Conference title was another good game.”

Senior Jacquelin Anderson attributes part of the team’s success this season to a positive team atmosphere.

“At practice, we try to get a positive and upbeat vibe,” Anderson said. “Of course sometimes we get down, but the team is always there to pick us back up.” 

The Tigers also came from behind during the regional championship to win over Collinsville.

“Not only to win, but to come back from a deficit of about 10 and then win by 10 showed our grit,” Roberts said.

Anderson, while disappointed at the season-ending loss, has high hopes for the team in the future.

This year we really wanted to get to state, but things ended a lot earlier than expected,” Anderson said. “As long as the team works hard and keeps their goals in mind they can work to get to the state or any other goal they want.”