EHS Girls Swim Returns from Two-Meet Weekend

Jack Pifer, Views Editor

The EHS girls swim team competed twice over the extended weekend with a dual meet win over O’Fallon on Oct. 3 and a fifth-place finish at the Jane Caliendo Invitational on Oct. 5.

The 200-yard relay was one of the many first place finishes for EHS against O’Fallon. Sophomore Ally Janson, one member of the relay team, said that after the meet she felt “we had some good team bonding.”

Janson also mentioned that each meet she tries to improve by learning from her coaches. “That can be anywhere from my flip turns to my head position.”

Senior Josie Bushell took first place in the 200-yard individual medley as well as the 500-yard freestyle on Oct. 3; on Saturday, however, she was able to win the 50-yard freestyle and participated in two other relays as well as the 100-yard freestyle in a competitive field of Northern schools.

“As a team, I think that we can be more supportive…” Bushell said, “Individually I think I can improve on the small things like my starts and turns…”

Bushell said she believes the team is good this year and thinks that they will stay consistent throughout the season.

On Saturday, the 200-yard freestyle relay was the only other event to place in the Top Three.

On that 200 relay was junior Allison Naylor, who won two events, both the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard backstroke, at the dual meet.

“Our team is really growing together and is one of the closest and fastest teams I’ve been a part of,” Naylor said.

Naylor says her goals for the season are to make it to state in four events as well as to bring more people than in previous years.

EHS swims next at the Chuck Fruit Aquatic Center on Oct. 19.