Girls Basketball Climbs Up in State Ranks

Mason Kane

Senior Jaylen Townsend passes the ball to a teammate during a home game on Jan. 25.

Cierra Veizer, Sports Editor

The girls basketball team (26-2) is ranked No. 3 in the state once again as of Jan. 31.

The team dropped from third to fourth despite winning three consecutive games two weeks ago, switching ranks with Palatine Fremd High School (25-4). Both teams had played 24 games when the rankings were announced. Palatine Fremd had suffered four losses, yet EHS had only lost two games.

“As a team we don’t look at the rankings… they really don’t mean anything because anything can happen,” freshman Sydney Harris said. “A ranking is just an opinion. We just go out and play to try and win.”

Junior Quierra Love agreed and said that the team focuses on achieving their goals.

“Our goal is always to get as far as we can. We always strive to improve every game, learn something, whether we win or lose a game and try our best,” Love said. “Learning from games is the best type of win.”

Harris, Love and junior Kylie Burg agreed that rankings will not determine how their season will unfold.

“The only thing our team is thinking about is working hard in practice and preparing for the playoffs,” Burg said.

After picking up wins against Belleville West and Lutheran North, the Tigers climbed up a spot in the Associated Press Class 4A State poll to take back the No. 3 seed.

With only one regular season game remaining, coach Lori Blade has been telling the team that games are only going to get harder, according to Harris.

EHS will host Alton High School on Thursday before heading to Quincy on Feb. 12 to begin postseason.

“There’s a few challenges coming up because we’re going to go against some pretty talented girls these next couple weeks,” Love said. “We’re just going to stay focused, continue to work hard and keep improving.”