Girls Run Head First Into the 2018 Cross Country Season

Jessica Fosse, Life Editor

Ellie Elson
The girls cross country team prepares to set their watches before the start of their race at the Tiger Fall Classic Invitational Sept. 6.

Swift feet and ponytails tied high, the EHS girls cross country team has a promising season ahead of them.

The cross country team has completed four races so far this season and the girls varsity keeps improving.

From the annual Mud Mountain 5K, to their most recent race at the First to the Finish 5K Invitational, junior Elise Krone sees the development of her team.

“We are always trying to stay together as a close pack for racing, and we’ve just been focusing on the little things to improve,” Krone said.

Cross country is a team-emphasized sport even though it is competed as an individual.

Girls varsity tied for fourth place at the First to the Finish 5k Invitational in Peoria with Abby Korak placing second with a time of 17:55. Freshman Emiley England placed 15th with a time of 18:37 and Krone placed 23rd with a time of 18:59.

“I felt that I did well for my first big high school meet,” England said. “My goal is to break 18 minutes this year and these big meets are a great opportunity to do that.”

The girls try to finish within the same time as another. During practices they push each other to keep up which translates into better team scores at meets.

“We plan to keep working hard and pushing each other so that we can do back to the course two more times this year and make a name for ourselves,” senior Melissa Spencer said.

The girls are currently preparing for their next race, the Edwardsville Invitational, at their home course.

“We have grown as a team, and as a freshman they have really helped me grow as a runner,” England said. “I am super happy to see what happens next at the upcoming meets.”