New Head Coach, Same Expectations.

After a season that tied for the most successful in Tiger field hockey history, the ladies in orange and black are looking for nothing less than a repeat.

With the loss of head coach Abby Comerford the Tigers looked no further than to junior varsity coach, Julia Tyler to step up and take the varsity reigns.

Tyler has a vast knowledge in soccer from her playing years as well as playing at a high level. Tyler was being scouted by many major division I programs.

That knowledge she has helped her out as she’s made her transition to field hockey. “There are a lot of similarities between soccer and field hockey, the movement of the ball and the positioning on the field is basically the same.” Tyler said.

Tyler has enlisted the help of former Missouri State defenseman and graduate of EHS, Jenna Compton. Compton, who will lead the C-team in her first year coaching, competed four years at EHS and four years for the Bears in college as well as being part of the Gateway field hockey club in St. Louis while in high school.

“Compton is a great addition to our program. She is doing a great job at training the younger girls to help out the program in the future.” Tyler said.

Jaimee Phegley will lead the junior varsity team with the assistance of Tyler. Phegley, who is also the throwing coach for the EHS girls track and field team, was a thrower for Eastern Illinois University. Phegley competed in the hammer throw, shot put and javelin.

As Tyler and the new coaching staff take over their new responsibilities Junior Maddie Rasche is filling in a new spot of her own. Rasche is taking over on defense after none other than her big sister.

Rasche said that her sister played a large part in her playing field hockey and now it is her turn to take over. Though Rasche is going to play her game there is one piece of advice that her older sister left her with. “She told me to make sure I leave everything on the field and never quit on my team.” Rasche said.

With a new staff patrolling the side line and new leaders on the field, this season is full of unknowns. We do know for sure that this season is going to be competitive, new and exciting to watch. The Tigers take the turf for their first home game on Sept. 9 against rival MICDS.

Devin Kane, Co-Editor-In-Chief
Devin is a senior at EHS and is in her third year in the journalism program. Devin is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw and also oversees sports for the newspaper. Devin is entering her fourth year as a photographer for The Tiger Yearbook and her first year as the Photo Editor. She is also a member of the EHS softball team where she plays outfield. There is nothing Devin takes more pride in than being able to compete as an Edwardsville Tiger. When she’s not taking pictures or on the softball field, Devin enjoys going new places and meeting new people. She is an avid Mizzou football fan and loves anything black and gold. She plans on going to college and studying Physical Therapy or Journalism. Devin’s favorite part of being on the publications staff is seeing the product start to finish and the amount of time and effort that goes into producing the yearbook and newspaper.