Track Star with a Limitless Future

On Wednesday April 3, Newschannel 5 talked with track and basketball athlete senior Emmonnie Henderson about her possibly going to the Olympics.

“It was really exciting, and felt good to be talking about everything everyone has done for me,” she said while talking about the interview.

She is considering either going to the Olympics hoping to win a gold medal in shot put, or going to the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA). Newschannel 5 asked her which she would choose. Henderson chose the Olympics.

“A gold medal, it means so much more. I was talking in the aspect of just going to the WNBA and then having a gold medal. It’s a once in a lifetime chance. The WNBA is also, but there are more opportunities to do that,” she said.

EHS has shown Henderson much support over her past four years, and she has done her best to repay them. Henderson has won state titles in the track and field event of shot put and discus. Over 250 colleges have tried to recruit Henderson, but she chose the University of Louisville.

“Louisville is a great school, especially with Coach [Jeff] Walz. The basketball program and track program…they’re good at both,” Henderson said.

The university’s men’s basketball team is currently competing in the NCAA Final Four Playoff Tournament, but has made headlines for other reasons as well. Basketball player Kevin Ware suffered a gruesome injury during the game on March 31, when a fall caused his tibia bone to break through his leg.

Henderson believes that he will have a strong comeback. “He’s just a sophomore, [so] he has a lot of time. He’s going to go to rehab…probably have his two years after. I just pray for him and Louisville that they can still go all the way,” she said.

Although someone at her chosen school was severly injured, Henderson is not afraid of the future. “Nothing really scares me. You can’t really go into the game being scared, because if you do, you won’t do your best. You’ve got to do your hardest and [hope] that nothing bad will happen,” Henderson said.

Cameron Thomas
Cameron Thomas, Editor-in-Chief
Cameron Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times. He is also Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Tiger Yearbook. A few of his favorite magazines are Vogue, GQ and all publications by Condé Nast. He spends a lot of his time reading fashion articles and staying up to date on the latest trends. One of Cameron's aspirations in life is to be a well-recognized fashion editor of a major publication. Go figure.