Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive, Dodge…Charity!

Dodge ball is not all fun and games for Edwardsville High School students. The annual Homecoming dodge ball tournament this year has a cause–the Saint Louis Food Bank.

This year’s tournament saw a few changes. The newly crowned champions, Kings of the 618, will get to participate in another tournament later in the year against various other schools from our area, as well as across the river. According to Student Council President Bethany Frick, “It will be kind of like a regional tournament,”therefore this event has been dubbed the 314 vs. 618 Tournament.

Another change to this year’s tournament was the increased level of participation.

“We had more teams than ever this year–Twenty-one were signed up by this morning, and we had three more sign up after school,” said Mrs. Beck, Student Council’s faculty advisor. With a total of twenty-four teams involved, increased numbers of spectators were in attendance as well. Thanks to this large crowd, Student Council raised over $1000 for the cause.

The students in attendance cheered actively for their particular teams. “There were a lot of upsets, which made it really exciting,” said senior Blake Blair. Students bonded over the wins and losses of their teams. “The dodge ball tournament is a greatway to bring people together,” said senior Kristin Brunstein.

Competition and charity are a potent mix at EHS. The students enjoy seeing their friends succeed and help others at the same time. The charitable spirit intermingled with that of homecoming. Most of the students had been to the dodge ball tournament before, and plan on returning. “My friends and I are thinking of putting together an all girls team next year,” said sophomore Abi Clere.

The Kings of the 618 can count on support from their peers in the 314 vs. 618 Tournament in March.