What’s Not So Beautiful about Beauty Week

Jessica Fosse, Life Editor

A week to promote individual beauty seems like an impactful idea on the outside, but after taking a deeper look it falls flat.

EHS has managed beauty week for three years now. The idea is to have a whole week of small events that support students’ self-esteem.

Events included are daily videos, writing positive sticky notes, bathroom mirror messages and sweats and no makeup on different days.

But do the events really affect anyone’s self-esteem positively?

Each year as I experience beauty week, it doesn’t affect me in the slightest. The week just goes by as it normally would. I don’t feel any more or any less beautiful.

Student Council takes care of large, school-wide events like homecoming, the talent show and the winter assembly. They have a constantly full schedule. If more time was put into planning beauty week, then more people would appreciate it.

Some of the events of beauty week make sens,e others don’t and some are great ideas with poor execution.

On Monday it is encouraged to fill out a sticky note about a friend and why they are beautiful. This year Student Council modified it to where if you fill out 3 sticky notes you get to fill out a candy gram to be delivered to your friend the following week.

This does promote beauty.

However, on Friday, Student Council hosts a pingpong tournament.

Seems like a fun event but what correlates beauty to pingpong?

The tournament is used to fundraise money. According to Student Council sponsor Melissa Beck, the proceeds will be donated to the Suicide Prevention Hotline located in Springfield, Ill. But as it is advertised by Student Council members, there is no mention of this which might be the reason students aren’t excited to participate.

Encouraging beauty among students is positivity needed in a high school atmosphere, but the annual beauty week does a meager job of doing so.