PARCC Testing: Helpful or Hindering?

Leading up to the PARCC testing I did not allow myself to read into the hype, or actually the controversy, that surrounded this test. Because of this action I was heading into the unknown with nothing but a number two pencil.

I didn’t study, I didn’t know the time limits, I didn’t know the format, and for a while, I didn’t even know it was going to take six hours over the course of three days. Unprepared student? I guess you could say that, but how was I supposed to prepare for a test few had ever taken?

On day one I took the first part of the 11th grade language arts test consisting of two passages, 18 multiple choice questions and one extended response. When I finished the test with nearly 45 minutes left, I was confused to say the least. Then I looked around only to see at least 50 of my peers finished with their tests and completely asleep at their table. I think this is when I realized that this test was a waste of my time.

Day two mirrored the format of day one and so did the time I had left over and the number of kids surrounding me catching up on their sleep.  Instead of conducting critical interviews for the finalization of my pieces in the school newspaper, I was left to sit there and work on homework and listen to students hit the table because they thought they were falling in their sleep.

By day three I was done with this test. I like to pride myself on not giving up on anything but when I reached the last extended response in this section it took everything in me to not close my book and turn it in. I struggled to see how this test, based on the questions asked, was going to gage where I was academically.

With that being said, if the extended responses were really calling for a five paragraph essay then the structure of the questions needs to be redone. I struggled writing more than a page and writing is never a problem for me. The format of the multiple choice questions was not my favorite. I understand the goal in that the second part of the question is to ensure the student could give reasoning and evidence as to why they chose what they chose but some I felt could have multiple answers backing up the answer to the first part.

The time allowed needs to be revised quite a bit. I had enough time to take the test twice. I will say that some students around me worked well past the time I did, but still finished with a good amount of time left.

I’m not sure how I did on this test. Maybe it really was as easy as I thought and I scored well. Maybe I did terribly, but I can say that I answered every question to the best of my ability. I took this test seriously unlike others who treated this as nap time.

This test still has a ways to go. I’m skeptical as to whether or not it will succeed with its intended purpose as I have yet to talk to one person that thought this test didn’t have flaws.

I still haven’t allowed myself to read any of the other articles criticizing this test because even after taking part of it, I still do not feel like I know enough about it. I’m confused on the grading scale and I’m even more confused as to where my test score will go and who and what it will benefit. What, if anything, is this test trying to prove or replace?

At the end of the day, I believe that the time I spent taking the PARCC test could have been spent more wisely tending to the high demands I and other students put on ourselves academically.

I am interested in seeing how I did on this time-wasting test. I do not see how the questions asked can gage my academic level, but I am still interested. I don’t see how anyone can judge one’s academic ability on a test, but that’s another subject.

Devin Kane
Devin Kane, Co-Editor-In-Chief
Devin is a senior at EHS and is in her third year in the journalism program. Devin is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw and also oversees sports for the newspaper. Devin is entering her fourth year as a photographer for The Tiger Yearbook and her first year as the Photo Editor. She is also a member of the EHS softball team where she plays outfield. There is nothing Devin takes more pride in than being able to compete as an Edwardsville Tiger. When she’s not taking pictures or on the softball field, Devin enjoys going new places and meeting new people. She is an avid Mizzou football fan and loves anything black and gold. She plans on going to college and studying Physical Therapy or Journalism. Devin’s favorite part of being on the publications staff is seeing the product start to finish and the amount of time and effort that goes into producing the yearbook and newspaper.