Inconsistencies Cause ‘Insurgent’ Adaptation to Fall Flat

Let me put it out there that when I walked into the theater to endure two hours of what was supposed to be “Insurgent,” I didn’t have high expectations. The screen adaptation of Divergent was near cringe-worthy, so I didn’t expect much from book two of the series that I really enjoyed reading.

When I go into a movie that is an adaptation of a book, I expect the critical parts of the book to be spot on in the movie. I understand changing little things here and there, but to leave out critical elements that are a whole new story of turbulence between the two main characters is not what I expect of a book to movie adaptation. I’m here to watch the movie because I loved the book and I enjoy seeing it come to life, not because I want to see what a Hollywood movie crew can change.

The controversy of the movie began before it even hit the screen after the trailer revealed some type of box that held some type of importance in the movie. The movie revealed that this mystery box was the video from the outside world that, in the book, was described to be on some sort of small, flash drive like unit, not some large box.

Once the confusion was cleared up, the differences only grew from there. In “Insurgent” the book, Tris and Four’s relationship really takes a hit as she fights with turning herself in to erudite since she is the divergent that they need. They fight a lot in the book, and I questioned if their relationship would survive to see Allegiant. However, in the movie they barely argue, and there isn’t tension because Tris only tries to turn herself in once and succeeds.

The way “Insurgent” ended should have those who haven’t read “Allegiant” thinking that they all go and discover what is beyond the walls that have enclosed them for so long. There was no hint as to what could really be awaiting them. You could rightfully assume that Tris and Four go into the new world and live happily ever after. It wasn’t a cliff hanger that left you sitting on the edge of your seat counting down the days to part one of “Allegiant,” the series could end right now and not miss a beat.

The one thing that kept me awake throughout the movie was the few action scenes here and there and my desire to see what had been twisted and changed to meet the big screen demands.

Overall, my low expectations of “Insurgent” were met. I’m confused how such a talented cast with a great plot line can produce a mediocre at best movie. One can hope that “Allegiant” will be better, but right now the idea of sitting through not one but two more movies of this series sounds painful.

Devin Kane
Devin Kane, Co-Editor-In-Chief
Devin is a senior at EHS and is in her third year in the journalism program. Devin is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw and also oversees sports for the newspaper. Devin is entering her fourth year as a photographer for The Tiger Yearbook and her first year as the Photo Editor. She is also a member of the EHS softball team where she plays outfield. There is nothing Devin takes more pride in than being able to compete as an Edwardsville Tiger. When she’s not taking pictures or on the softball field, Devin enjoys going new places and meeting new people. She is an avid Mizzou football fan and loves anything black and gold. She plans on going to college and studying Physical Therapy or Journalism. Devin’s favorite part of being on the publications staff is seeing the product start to finish and the amount of time and effort that goes into producing the yearbook and newspaper.