Students Gear Up to Compete at First Lip-Sync Battle at EHS

Sam Doak, Staff Writer

If you can’t sing, then this is the perfect competition for you.  Students are once again showing their support for a current EHS student who is battling cancer and are gearing up for EHS’s first lip-sync battle.

Try-outs for the battle will be held in the auditorium on Feb. 9 and 10 and sign-ups for the event are outside rooms A320 or C110.  Students looking to audition should bring a print out of the lyrics of their song and the performance should be no longer than 2 minutes.

The actual event will take place on Feb. 25 and admission is $5 per person.  The third hour with the highest attendance will win a dessert party.

All proceeds from the competition will go to support an eleventh grade student at EHS, who is fighting cancer, and his family.

Junior Lily Grieve, a close friend to the family and a Key Club officer, says that it’s hard to explain how much this event means to her.

“You’ll get to enjoy an hour and a half of out-of-the-box entertainment,” Grieve said.

The event, put on by EPIC, Key Club, FFA and Medical Occupations Club, is hoping to bring in all kinds of people for the competition, according to biology teacher, Julia Doll, who helped organize the event.

Also helping to organize was senior Jeff Schulz, who willing to pitch the idea to EPIC sponsor, Mrs. Sander and in return get the other clubs involved with the fundraiser.  Two members from each club came together and formed a committee to help organize the event.

“This is a different kind of chance to show a talent,” Mrs. Doll said.  “I know we can fill the auditorium while also getting the chance to help one of our own.”

Students looking to try out for the competition will be judged not only on their ‘lip-syncing’ ability, but also their effort in the performance and level of difficulty of the song.

If the performer does well in the audition, they will get to move on to the final battle, Grieve said.

Senior Ellie Crabtree says she’s excited about the event and how the money raised will be used.

“I am definitely going all out,” Crabtree said. “Matt Morse and I intend on doing a Britney Spears throw down, but I can’t say anything else. The rest is a surprise.”

To kick off the event, teachers and other staff will be competing and ‘lip-syncing’ their own song, according to Mrs. Doll.

She plans on getting some staff that you wouldn’t picture on a stage competing in the competition, Mrs. Doll said.

“…So far, we have heard a lot of buzz about the event and have had a few groups already sign up,” Schulz said.  “I have very high hopes for the competition.”