Weather-Delayed Bonfire Finally Takes Place

The warmth of the fire, the smell of the barbeque and the flames of fire lighting up the night sky: after 22 years, a bonfire event finally returned to EHS on Oct. 23.

Student Council began planning a bonfire in June to go along with homecoming week. Due to weather the event took place three weeks later. The postponing of the event didn’t stop students from having a good time.

“I’m so glad the bonfire got to happen, I’ve been looking forward to it since it was first announced,” junior Josie Arnett said.

With the help of the Edwardsville Fire Department and Police Department, the school was able to pull off the perfect fall event for students to relax with friends on a picture perfect night.

“It’s something different from the normal activities and I think that it’s really great,” sophomore Sadie Starwalt-Cook said.

Students who attended the fall festivities roasted s’mores, played lawn games with friends and relaxed by the bonfire. Nearly 250 students enjoyed the bonfire, Student Council President Katie Frick said.

Aside from relaxing by the fire, classic lawn games like bags, horseshoes, washers and ladder ball toss were a big hit among students.

“I’m having a lot of fun, especially playing the lawn games,” freshman Stephen Stewart said.

With the success of this bonfire, Student Council is already thinking about next year. “We are extremely excited and thankful that this tradition has been brought back and we are already making plans to continue next year,” Frick said.

Students hope to see the return of this event too. “I think that we should continue doing it so it will catch on for years to come,” Starwalt-Cook said.

In addition to the bonfire and the lawn games, Student Council also ran a concession stand with barbequed hot dogs, and the German club also sold brats. A slide show of pictures from homecoming week and music also played for students to enjoy.

“This bonfire was fantastic, a great time, great people, and a great event,” freshman Joe Paolucci said, “Student Council did a great job.”

Devin Kane
Devin Kane, Co-Editor-In-Chief
Devin is a senior at EHS and is in her third year in the journalism program. Devin is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw and also oversees sports for the newspaper. Devin is entering her fourth year as a photographer for The Tiger Yearbook and her first year as the Photo Editor. She is also a member of the EHS softball team where she plays outfield. There is nothing Devin takes more pride in than being able to compete as an Edwardsville Tiger. When she’s not taking pictures or on the softball field, Devin enjoys going new places and meeting new people. She is an avid Mizzou football fan and loves anything black and gold. She plans on going to college and studying Physical Therapy or Journalism. Devin’s favorite part of being on the publications staff is seeing the product start to finish and the amount of time and effort that goes into producing the yearbook and newspaper.