What You Might Have Missed

For many students, the summer may have been a black hole in terms of news. For you, we have the top four events of the summer summarized.

In June, Edward Snowden leaked information on the National Security Agency seizing phone records from Verizon. According The Guardian millions of customers’ information was handed over. Since then, Snowden has been charged with espionage and has fled between locations. He is now in an undisclosed location after having previously been thought to be hidden in Russia after being granted political asylum on August 1.

While Russia may not be holding Snowden, it certainly will be holding the Winter Olympics in Sochi next year. Controversy surrounds the event however, as Russia has stated they will arrest anyone who promotes homosexuality during the events. Previously thought to mean that gay athletes would be arrested, the athletes may practice any life style they choose so long as statements they make are not viewed as “propaganda” according to CBS News.

In late May and through June, protests erupted in Turkey initially starting over a small protest against government plans of turning a park in Istanbul into a shopping mall. After violence erupted, however, more protests erupted around the country focused on police brutality and the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s undemocratic behavior. Tens of thousands of Turkish citizens appeared at protest in every major city around the country according to The Atlantic.

Shadowing the protests in Turkey was the coup, and now ongoing protests in Egypt. After ongoing protest for Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi to resign, the Egyptian military forcibly arrested him according to the BBC. Since then several riots and political unrest has resulted in Egypt being the center of focus and the Middle East.

Sam Goggin, Staff Writer
Sam is a junior year writer for Tiger Times. He is an active participant in debate club. Sam works at Edwardsville Gun Club. He listens to many types of music, usually electronic in nature. His favorite book is A Fault in Our Stars and his favorite movie is Spirited Away.  Sam was born on January 2, 1997. He intends on getting a doctorate in philosophy and pursuing a professorship.