‘Castlevania’ Triumphantly Returns for Third Season

Ryan Stewart, Co-Editor-In-Chief

In the aftermath of Dracula’s armies having fallen, his night creatures disorganized, his generals killed, the world has descended into chaos of humans murdering, night creatures rampaging and vampires setting up rogue kingdoms.

Season three of “Castlevania” chronicles the aftermath of the large, flashy, built-up conflicts of the first two seasons.

With Trevor and Sypha splitting up with Alucard, who has sworn to protect Dracula’s castle and Trevor’s family house, the narrative breaks into three lines which we follow.

Trevor and Sypha’s adventure, Alucard’s taking on of two students to train in vampire hunting and a defeated Carmilla’s return to her lands, immediately followed by her taking on of a new plan to secure human livestock for her vampires to feast on indefinitely.

“Castlevania” is notoriously gruesome and explicit, as gritty animes often are, and the newest season doubles down on this expectation, with a new occult church trying to pull Dracula out from hell, some new ways to hurt old characters and the most normal for the show: lots of night creatures getting showingly destroyed.

For all the gruesomeness the show subjects it’s audience to, the voice acting is not included. The accents all fit and are used appropriately within the context of each character. No line feels fumbled or mistaken. For a show that has always done these sorts of things impeccably, they still managed to improve.

The art style has, of course, returned the same way, but it’s apparent that the animators had become more confident in fully utilizing the more detailed, clear-cut style. While still certainly animation, there’s a sort of realism and urgency that comes with the depth of the world as seen through the harsh color palette and richness in

That style makes it that much easier to enjoy the story itself, which weaves in and out of each character’s perspective, much as I just did to mention the voice acting and art, for reference of what to expect.

That story also takes detours for smaller characters, but by the end of the season, they’re just set up for the next season, with their only attributions to the story being Isaac journeying to kill Hector and Hector being captured, imprisoned and enslaved by one of Carmilla’s sisters, Lenore.

While that was more of a slow-burn to watch, it adds tremendously to my desire for another season, which I will likely watch all of the day it comes out.