Netflix Originals Redefine Television

Nara Markowitz and Hannah Willmore, Staff Writer and Views Editor

I used to think I watched every kind of film there is, from American Pie to unknown independent flicks. TV was getting boring and every show I tried ended with the same plot and overplayed conflicts. That is, until I discovered the gold that is Netflix originals.

Netflix said it will be releasing 1,000 hours of original content this year, almost doubling 2016’s 600 hours of TV shows, movies and documentaries. Netflix has seized the opportunity of taking risks with its shows and movies, and it’s strive for uniqueness has made its films some of the best on my queue.

‘Chewing Gum’

Ever wondered what it would feel like to be introduced to someone with a navy blue zebra collared crew neck, clashing floral overalls and a demonic glare she figured could pass as sultry?

Now imagine her taking a step toward you and saying, “I know you think I’m hot, like this stunner or something, yeah, but, like, could you please stop staring at me like that it’s making me rather uncomfortable.”

Air-headed, peculiarly mannered Tracey (Michaela Coel) narrates this British comedy show and it seems like the quirkiness of her character has paid off.

Her unusual dialect and eccentric egotism makes Tracey one of the most vulgar and interesting characters in television.

‘Girlboss’

This show focuses on Sophia Amoruso’s rise to fame by founding Nasty Gal, a multi-million dollar clothing line, by the time she was 28 years old. It begins with Sophia getting fired from her job at a San Francisco shoe store and having to sell a jacket on eBay for profit.

The show has mixed reviews, but the concept of a young woman owning her own business and managing it herself to become successful is a unique story to be told.

‘Casting Jonbenet’

This documentary displays an interesting perspective on the infamous Jonbenet Ramsey case. And, as someone who’s watched countless of documentaries on the subject, trust me when I say interesting.

Not only does this film explore the mysteries of six-year-old beauty queen Jonbenet’s murder, but it also stages reenactments and interviews auditioning actors about how Jonbenet’s death affected them.

It’s intriguing to see how so many different—night school sex-ed teacher different—kinds of people can have such varying views.

‘Atypical’

While this show won’t be released until later this year, Netflix has released its official description. The show will be centered around an 18-year-old boy on the autism spectrum and his coming-of-age story.

This makes “Atypical” the second special-needs centric TV show after ABC aired “Speechless” this year. The concept was created by former “How I Met Your Mother” writer Robia Rashid and will star Jennifer Jason Leigh and British actor Keir Gilchrist.

‘Dear White People’

The movie turned TV show that explores the wonders of modern racism in everyday situations; “Dear White People” is a perfect example of how not to act as a white American.

Yes, even the holiest of locations like Ivy League universities can house unwanted bigotry. This show makes that clear from the start of its first episode where a group of black students are sent reeling after witnessing a blackface party held by a campus organization.

“All those detractors who accused a show they hadn’t seen of ‘race-baiting’ only proves why a series like this is so relevant and necessary,” Wenlei Ma, critic for news.com.au said. “But Dear White People is not arrogant or deranged enough to think it’s got the answers. It’s simply asking the questions.”

Episode by episode, this show breaks racial issues apart one at a time as it switches up its cast every screening.

It’s a comedy with just enough political power and innovative style to make a difference.