‘New Girl’ Brings a Fresh Face to Fox

In its first year one of the newer comedies called “New Girl,” has already been nominated for two Golden Globes and was the highest rated fall debut for Fox since the premiere of “the Bernie Mac Show” back in 2001.

So what makes “New Girl” so great?  It is just about Jess Day (Zooey Deschanel), living with three guys she meets on Craigslist after a bad breakup.  These three guys are Winston Bishop (Lamorne Morris), Nick Miller (Jake Johnson) and Schmidt (Max Greenfield).  Together these four actors are what make this new sitcom hilariously funny.

Deschanel plays quirky Day perfectly.  She wears all the right dresses and bakes all the right cupcakes.  Her dialogue is also spot on adding in her own silly comments at all the right times. All of this is what got her a nomination for best actress at the Golden Globes.

Bishop is an ex-basketball player who played in the European league and is recently retired.  Bishop always has a problem finding a job and has his own straight-forward, no-beating-around-the-bush way of presenting a laugh to the audience. 

Miller is closest to Day and sometimes it’s hard to tell if they are more than friends.  Miller is a slob and law school drop-out who now works at a bar.  He is quite emotional which makes for good humor.

Schmidt is one of the most unique characters of any show.  He is very feminine, a womanizer and he adds dollars in the jerk jar quite often.  Whether he can’t find his “driving moccasins” or he is walking around in his kimono, Schmidt is sure to provide the show hilarity when unexpected.

The characters are not the only devices that make “New Girl” so addicting.  There are the scenarios that these personalities are put into that make the story lines flow along so well.  The writers of this show can take a sad situation and make it funny (see Injured).  They are also able to take any moment and make it awkward and dorky.

That is really the only way to describe what “New Girl” is.  It is unique, funny and as many have said adorkable.