Twins Prepare to Say Goodbye

Emma Lipe, Life Editor

The transition from high school to college is stressful. Students have to adjust to living apart from their families for the first time. For twins or triplets, this stress is often heightened, as they have to face the world without their siblings for the first time.

Seniors and twins Danny and Michael Picchiotti have opted to attend colleges six hours from each other next year. Danny will go to the University of Iowa, and Michael will go to Indiana University.

“Leaving him… I don’t know what that feels like,” Danny said. “I have spent almost every single day with him for 18 years, and soon I’ll only see him every few months.”

Both boys agree independence will be gained from their time apart, though they plan to keep in touch often.

“Spending your whole life with someone you know is awesome, but I feel it’s important to get an independent, real-life experience,” Michael said.

Senior Jordan Bielicke feels similarly about leaving her twin, Logan, next year.

Jordan has committed to the University of Alabama and Birmingham, while Logan will attend Arizona State University. The schools are nearly 24 hours apart, though Jordan said she plans to text and call every day.

Logan said he’s a little more upset about the distance than Jordan is.

“The hardest part will be not always having someone you can trust and rely on every single day.”