Epenesa Ceremoniously Deemed All-American

Epenesa accepts Army All-American Bowl jersey at ceremony.

Lily Grieve, A&E Editor

Every year, 90 of America’s most prominent high school football stars team up and face off in the Army All-American Bowl. Many NFL greats like Odell Beckham Jr., Andrew Luck and Ezekiel Elliot were honored with the opportunity to be All-Americans.

EHS’s defensive end AJ Epenesa is now among them: one of two EHS Army All-American players in history.

“He is a three sport athlete and two sport All-American,” Athletic Director Brad Bevis. “You don’t get [someone like that] often.”

Epenesa found out his sophomore year that he was chosen for the All-American football team and immediately tweeted:

“Honored and blessed to say that I’ve accepted my invite and will be playing in the U.S. Army All-American game senior year.”

Over a year later, on Wednesday, Oct. 12 officials from the U.S. Army All-American Bowl officially invited Epenesa with an jersey ceremony at the Jon Davis Wrestling Center.

“[The ceremony] was awesome,” Epenesa said. “I loved having my parents right next to me. The whole team and everyone who has supported me through the years was there. I just appreciate everyone who took time out of their day to be there for me.”

Epenesa’s brother and freshman Eric Epenesa was also at the ceremony.

“It was amazing that my brother was selected for his hard work,” Eric said. “He is a great role model for all that would like to follow in his footsteps in both school and sports.”

Following the ceremony, Epenesa will attend practices in preparation for the Army All-American game on Jan. 7, 2017 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

“I’m hyped to say the least,” he said. “It’ll be a game where I go against everyone who is the best in the country and everyone who is going to a Division I school. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Friends and family weren’t surprised by Epenesa’s recognition and are ready to watch the game.

“I always knew he was on a different level than everybody else,” senior kicker Riley Patterson said. “He deserves everything he gets. I can’t [think] of a better or more deserving person.”