Volleyball Showcases Skills in Vianney Tournament

Usually when a team narrowly misses a championship title in any tournament, heads are hung and coaches become frustrated. However, this was not the case for the Edwardsville boys’ volleyball team on Saturday at the Vianney Tournament, as head coach Andy Bersett was encouraged by what he saw.

After all, the only sets the Tigers’ lost were to the host team, the Missouri powerhouse Vianney Golden Griffins, a heavy favorite to claim the state title across the river.

“We battled against Vianney, especially in the championship game,” said Bersett. “We beat them in a set and I don’t think they’ve dropped a set all year.”

Vianney holds their tournament every year, bringing together eight talented teams in a bracket-style pool. The Tigers began the tournament against St. Dominic, winning the match in just two sets 25-11, 25-22. Their next challenger was Westminster, but the Tigers knocked them down 25-23, 25-21.

Both these wins saw the Tigers go up against Vianney in the first of two matches, losing 25-18, 25-23 in a hard fought effort.

After getting a bye in the quarterfinals, the Tigers faced Westminster again in the semifinals and won 25-22, 26-24. An outside hitter for Westminster gave the Tigers problems, recording loads of kills. However, Edwardsville libero Ryan Bode managed to dig some up to help push the Tigers to victory.

“Bode is pretty solid defensively,” said Bersett. “To have a guy like that to pick up balls all over the court is always big.”

After winning the semifinals, the Tigers poised themselves to face Vianney once again. However, the boys in orange came out flat, losing 25-9 in the first set. The Tigers managed to rebound and win their only set against Vianney 22-25. The Golden Griffins outlasted the Tigers in the third set 15-9, claiming the tournament title.

Though the loss was tough, potential was shown from the Tigers throughout the tournament.

“I thought Mike Horton and Will Frank were our most consistent attackers, as was Doug Jones,” said Bersett. “They’re keys to our success.”

“I felt like I played pretty good, though my serving could have been better,” said senior Will Frank, a captain on the team. “I did my job on the court, picked the guys up as they picked me up whenever I messed up. I thought we played well as a team.”

On May 11, the Tigers host Vianney, looking for a little revenge. However, before their vengeance is fulfilled, more progress needs to be shown.

“Both teams are going to be a lot better,” said Bersett. “I hope we’re stronger, and I think it will be a good match for us to prepare for going into the playoffs.”

Drew Bradley
Drew Bradley, Staff Writer
Drew Bradley is a senior at Edwardsville High School, where he is a main contributor to The Claw newsmagazine. Drew’s hobbies include watching every kind of sport and talking to his friends about them. He loves the Green Bay Packers, the Portland Trail Blazers and several baseball teams. Drew is a varsity golfer, and is looking for a state championship run this year. Drew likes to listen to several kinds of music, from A Tribe Called Quest to Hippie Sabotage to Sublime, though most of his favorite songs are of the ‘90s hip-hop genre. He also likes many kinds of movies. Drew loves to hang out with friends, as he is very friendly and talkative. He also runs a lawn care service. Drew is also interested in men’s fashion. Drew owns a Yorkshire terrier named Hershey, a fun-loving dog. He is Drew’s best friend. That is Drew Bradley in a nutshell.