Throwin’ Samoan Shatters 51-Year-Old Record

Sophomore AJ Epenesa is a well-known athlete throughout the country for his work on the football field. Just now breaking the surface are his abilities as a track and field athlete.

Epenesa would toss the discuss for the first time this year at the Fresh/Soph Tiger Invite here at EHS. He would break our school record which stood for 51 years obliterating the disc with a fling of 180 feet 3 inches. He would then go on to hurl the shot put an under looked 53 feet 1 inch which would break the school and meet records.

His discuss throw now ranks first in Illinois and 13th in the country.

EHS throws coach Matt Martin is making work with Epenesa an easy transition. “With our throwers freshmen year we just teach learning the release. It just comes so natural for him. AJ has been throwing for three weeks this year. No pun intended but the skies the limit.”

Epenesa is something special, even to EHS which is remarkable considering our success in the recent years in athletics. The “Monster of the Midwest” as he’s been coined the nickname, now has 17 major division one offers and the latest coming from college football powerhouse USC.

Jumps coach Carry Bailey receives lots of looks at Epenesa while at work. “My immediate reaction to the throw was ‘wow’, but then you realize he’s a superstar on the football field, on the basketball court and now in throwing events.”

Epenesa’s latest throw came in the Fresh/Soph Alton Relays where he would defeat his old school record by seven feet throwing 187 feet 3 inches. That now ranks him first in Illinois still but seventh in the country.

Peter Byers
Peter Byers, Staff Writer
Peter Byers is a senior at EHS and a contributing writer to “The Claw”. In school, his favorite subjects are social science and journalism. Peter is also a member of the EHS swim team and the local EDWY Breakers club swim team. He competes in all levels of competition including numerous national level swim meets. He is a lover of sports,  more specifically the St.Louis Rams, Oregon Ducks and Chicago Cubs. In his spare he likes to chill with his “bros”, take care of his basset hound Strudel and read up on politics. He is happily a member of the Journalism 2 Bros. Peter plans on moving west once it comes time to decide on a college and is looking to continue his swimming career while doing so. His favorite rap group is A$APMOB.