NFL Raises Suspensions For Players’ Misconduct

The NFL has been home to murderers, drug dealers, domestic abusers and drunk drivers. Since the beginning of the 2000, 713 NFL players have been arrested. Of these 713 arrests, the three most common include assault/battery, DUI’s and drug possession.

According to Deadspin.com, “With 7.4 annual assault/battery/domestic charges per thousand players, the NFL saw 34 percent more arrests for these violent crimes than the general population; 8.3 annual DUI charges per thousand was 81 percent higher than the U.S. average.”

The NFL has been leading the way in arrests in American professional sports, but it has had an 18 players drop off in arrests annually. The NFL has increased player suspensions and fines to reduce the crime rate.

Recently, Baltimore Ravens starting running back Ray Rice was suspended for two games following the domestic abuse against his wife. Just before that, Cleveland Browns standout wide receiver Josh Gordon was suspended for a whole year following a marijuana possession charge; it was his fourth offense. Just last year, New England tight-end Aaron Hernandez was charged with two counts of murder and there are potentially more to come.

A week after Rice was suspended by the NFL, the NFL increased the mandatory suspension on domestic abuse charges from two games to six games. It seemed as if Rice was “saved by the bell” so to speak. Until TMZ released elevator surveillance video of Rice’s attack. Rice had his contract terminated by the Ravens, being released into the free agency and suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

Professional football players’ behavior needs to be held to the highest standard, yet they seem to fail far more often than the average citizen.

Peter Byers, Staff Writer
Peter Byers is a senior at EHS and a contributing writer to “The Claw”. In school, his favorite subjects are social science and journalism. Peter is also a member of the EHS swim team and the local EDWY Breakers club swim team. He competes in all levels of competition including numerous national level swim meets. He is a lover of sports,  more specifically the St.Louis Rams, Oregon Ducks and Chicago Cubs. In his spare he likes to chill with his “bros”, take care of his basset hound Strudel and read up on politics. He is happily a member of the Journalism 2 Bros. Peter plans on moving west once it comes time to decide on a college and is looking to continue his swimming career while doing so. His favorite rap group is A$APMOB.