Student Athletes Fall into Postseason

As the temperature drops and the leaves fall, students are gearing up for their post-season contests.  EHS teams will be taking on opponents throughout the state to try and make it up north to claim the state title.

Junior volleyball player Rachel Anderson has one last game left before the postseason begins.  The ladies will take on Belleville West on Oct. 22 at EHS.

After their last regular season game, the girls volleyball team will have only six days to prepare for their first regional game.  “We don’t know who we are playing [in the regionals],” Anderson said.  Although the opponent is undetermined, Anderson is still ambitious.  “I’m excited and I feel like it will be a good postseason,” Anderson said.

Senior soccer player Hayden Hessler also played Belleville West on his last night of the regular season.  The tigers shutout Belleville West by a score of 3-0.

The first post-season opponent for the boys will be the Alton Redbirds at Gordon Moore Park on Oct. 22.  “I hope we are able to win the game because its what we have worked for all season.  They [Alton] are a good team, but I feel we will find a way to win,” Hessler said.

Last year the boys soccer team lost in the super sectional game against the [later] state runner-up Naperville Central.

“I think we have a better chance this season because we are going into playoffs in a very good form with a lot of momentum behind us,” Hessler said.

The boys’ golf team beat O’fallon before making it to the regionals this year.  The tigers finished second in the regional contest, but fell short in the sectional match.

“I think that we were just as talented as last years team, but we weren’t as deep.  We had four good solid guys but nobody in back up,” senior golf player Tyler Worthey said.

According to junior football player Trentan Daley, the last regular season game is Oct. 25 at EHS versus Belleville East.  This year the tigers are going into the postseason with their heads held high.

Daley thinks that the team stands a better chance in the post season this year.  “We have an undefeated record and we are ranked third in the state poll,” Daley said.

According to Daley, the first postseason game is still to be determined, however players and fans should find out no later than Oct. 26.

Brenden Heaton
Brenden Heaton, Staff Writer
Brenden Heaton is a senior at Edwardsville High School.  He enjoys photography, cinematography, and many other hobbies.  Brenden is playing goalkeeper for the EHS soccer team, as well as participating in other extra-curricular activities such as choir, AcaFellaz and drama club.  Brenden is also one of the technical advisers for the Friday Morning News Broadcast at EHS.  Brenden plans on going to school for a degree in cinematography and video production.