Mother May I Never Say Goodbye

Kerrington Holland, Sports Editor

Hi Mom!

Long time, no see.

You are currently downstairs, preparing dinner for our family while simultaneously supporting me through my last stressful week of finals.

You texted me every morning this week to remind me to make the most out of my last days at EHS, and every night you come in to check on me and say “goodnight” before you head to bed.

But Mom, as I leave high school, and it may seem like your little baby is growing up too fast, just know I will never outgrow you.

From having random dance parties in the kitchen while making breakfast to binge watching “Gilmore Girls” every summer for the past five years, you have been my absolute best friend.

You have been someone that I have always been able to rely on, someone that completely understands the hardships I’m going through, and you always have the best advice.

Thank you for never judging me when I make the wrong decision, because you know I need to learn these life lessons on my own; thank you for helping me through my first dates, first boyfriend and eventually my first bad breakup; thank you for putting me in my place when I start to think I’m more than I am and for reminding me to stay humble. Thank you for being “Mom.”

I know in just three short months I will be packing up and preparing to do all of this on my own. While I may seem confident and ready for this new chapter in my life, know that, I am so scared to be without you.

I’ve realized lately that I ask your opinion on everything I do in life, and it’s not because I have to but because I want to.

Not having you there while I watch our favorite shows or randomly have a question will be like a ghost limb on my heart.

I cherish everything you have done for me over these past 18 years, and I hope these years of your training will lead me to become a strong, independent woman just like you.

Thank you for being my mom,

Kerr