Courting a Change for Homecoming

Nara Markowitz, Staff Writer

As homecoming approaches, EHS court nominees are exhausted from prepping for the elaborate crowning ceremony. Meanwhile, other schools have chosen to adopt a more unique approach to homecoming court.

Rice, a university located in Houston, has an especially peculiar way of holding homecoming. In 1941, Rice stopped restricting homecoming nominees to just the student body. Since then, many unusual candidates have emerged. Cats, iguanas, the Creature from the Black Lagoon and a saint are just a few examples of Rice’s past nominees.

At EHS, however, the court process is a lot less exciting. Students get nominated, spend weeks rehearsing the sacred EHS homecoming dance, and are forced into buying or renting extravagant outfits.  For homecoming queen nominees, the extravagance is to an extreme.

Prices of homecoming court dresses, which must be princess style, can range anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands while this years tuxedo rentals go for $130.  Though it’s difficult to imagine buying your first wedding dress at the age of seventeen, that is often the case for queen nominees.  They are required to wear white so must find their homecoming dresses at bridal shops.

At C.E. Jordan High in Durham, N.C. people dress up for homecoming, but in a less traditional way than EHS students. Thirty six years ago Jordan High students opted to dress in costumes on homecoming due to the ceremony coincidently falling on Halloween. Dressing in costumes has since become a homecoming tradition.

While choosing costumes over formalwear may seem like a far stretch for EHS, it’s not an outrageous idea. Many people find dressing up for homecoming to be fun. By broadening fashion options, homecoming’s getting ready process can become even more enjoyable.

Our generation is all about breaking free of societal norms and customs so why are we stuck with the same traditional homecoming routine every year? We need to bring something exciting to homecoming that reflects who we are—a group of pioneering individuals.