Finding an Escape

In my English class, we are discussing Aldous Huxely’s “Brave New World.” In this novel, Huxley introduces the reader to a dystopian society where people do not feel anything and all troubles are easily escapable by government assistance. This idea reminds me of teenagers. We always want to “get out” of our current situations.

I typically listen to some trance, dubstep or soft R&B jams when I desire an escape. This craving usually comes from an excessive amount of homework. My psychology teacher actually told the class that humans have not yet adapted for our society. We are constantly forced to face and overcome challenge after challenge without giving our minds a single moment to rest. We desire a way out.

Senior Amelia Biggs finds herself in deep turmoil with our AP English Literature and Composition homework. In order to slow down her mind and simply take a moment to breath, she works out.

“I like to go out to the Y and run because it’s a huge stress reliever,” Biggs said.

Her faith also provides comfort. “I’m trying to think of something specific, but I just know that God’s there and everything’s going to be alright.”

“I believe that anyone who isn’t alright with how things are can fix it.”

Many of my peers do not have such a solace as Biggs. Illegal substances provide them with comfort and act as their medium into an escape. The same goes for the characters in “Brave New World.” Whenever they feel anything other than happiness, these characters will load up on a tranquilizing, opiate-like drug called “soma.” Such an idea astounds just about anybody of our current society, but are we on our way to Huxley’s dystopia?

Whenever someone becomes depressed, a doctor might prescribe them medication that stabilizes and halts their negative thoughts. These drugs release recipients into a more controlled state of mind. Often times depressed people do not seek advice from trained professionals. Instead they find other means such as marijuana. The drug has even become legal in a few states for medicinal as well as recreational use.

How far will someone go to escape?

Cameron Thomas
Cameron Thomas, Editor-in-Chief
Cameron Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times. He is also Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Tiger Yearbook. A few of his favorite magazines are Vogue, GQ and all publications by Condé Nast. He spends a lot of his time reading fashion articles and staying up to date on the latest trends. One of Cameron's aspirations in life is to be a well-recognized fashion editor of a major publication. Go figure.