Student Council Departs with Old Leaders, New Ones Selected

Jane Thompson, Co-Editor in Chief

Every year, the faces behind homecoming and Mr. EHS must be replaced. As the typically senior-laden council approaches their final days of being Student Council leaders, new ones must be chosen to continue StuCo’s legacy.

Senior Mary Webb experienced her final day as StuCo president on Tuesday, April 18. Her concluding hours were dominated by the selection process for the new StuCo leaders.

Every prospective leader gives a two-minute speech and answers a list of questions submitted by the entire council, according to Webb. After everyone has a chance to speak, the council votes.

While some non-seniors will continue in leadership positions next year, all of the members changed roles.

Junior Michael Taplin took Webb’s spot as president; junior Ian McLean replaced junior Jackson O’Leary as Vice President of School Events; O’Leary took senior Hannah Griffin’s spot as Vice President of School Spirit; junior Patrick Driscoll became the Vice President of Technology; sophomore Ethan Miracle replaced Taplin as the Vice President of Advertising; junior Ben Manibusan took senior Lulu Singh’s position as Vice President of Community Outreach and junior Joey Lu replaced Manibusan as Vice President of Council Records.

Taplin is eager and honored to take on his new role as president.

“(I’m excited for) leading my council to plan amazing events like homecoming and beauty week, being close with administration and giving a speech at graduation in 2018,” he said.

While there is much for Taplin to look forward to in his new role, he will have to combat stress and a full schedule.

“He needs to be ‘on call’ a lot,” Webb said. “Somebody is always going to be pulling him out of class and asking him to do stuff last minute.”

Taplin will oversee the planning of homecoming, the talent show and Mr. EHS next year, as well as arrange community service opportunities and be a good representative of the students, Webb said.

StuCo adviser Melissa Beck has supervised several StuCo presidents and trusts Taplin’s abilities.

“I think Michael is going to do a wonderful job,” she said. “He’s been in Student Council for as long as I can remember, and he really knows his stuff and the ins and outs of Student Council. I’m sure he’s going to be able to direct the new generation of Student Council members.”

And Webb also feels confident about leaving StuCo in the hands of Taplin.

“I think people voted for Michael because he’s already done so much for the council. Everyone could count on him for getting something done and getting it done right,” she said. “He should be really excited for the opportunities he’s going to get and the people he gets to work with.”