Bittersweet End-of-Season Ushers in Wrestling Postseason

Jane Thompson, Co-Editor in Chief

The wrestling team has “(toed) the line to toughness” this year by ending the regular season with an overall record of 23-3.

“This season has been pretty great so far,” senior Rafael Roman said. “We’ve had a lot of good competition this year, and I think it has really been beneficial to us in preparation for the upcoming postseason.”

The team has worked hard this year in preparation for state and will begin their postseason with regionals on Saturday, Feb. 4.

The Tigers will be expected to push their bodies to the limit, not only physically but mentally, during the next three weeks leading up to state on Feb. 16-18 in Champaign, Ill.

Because this can be a challenge for the team, the wrestlers depend on each other for support.

“Just as any wrestling move, the mental aspect of wrestling is something every athlete must work on in order to meet and exceed their own goals,” Roman said. “I feel that with my teammates behind me, I’ve been able to keep my head in the right place.”

With the goal of a state title in mind, freshman Luke Odom is eager to leave the regular season behind and begin to challenge himself during postseason.

“For me, (the end of season) just means my goals are getting closer and closer to being met,” he said. “I’m just going to treat (regionals) the same as every other tournament and go wrestle to the best of my ability.”

For some wrestlers, however, the start of postseason is bittersweet.

“It’s definitely been a mix of emotions knowing that my season is coming to an end because this is my last chance to leave it all on the mat,” Roman said. “I’m very excited to see just how far I can get with all the training I’ve put in.”

And the team is already looking forward to next year’s season.

“Even if the official season is over, wrestling has no offseason,” freshman Ben Lunn said. “Once the state series is over, the hunt for a state title begins all over again.”