Students to Support Local Shelters Through Club

Emma Lipe, Life Editor

Animal Rescue Club has been attracting animal-lovers since it got its start in 2014, but the group isn’t about ogling over pictures of puppies.

For those who want to better the lives of animals, the club serves as a way to get involved. Members support local animal rescues and no-kill shelters through volunteer work, and at least one fundraiser per semester.

“Most non-profits don’t allow you to volunteer unless you’re 18, but through the club, we are able to volunteer,” Animal Rescue Club president, senior Taylor Rickey said.

For a chance to win Annie’s Frozen Custard and Zaza Nail Salon gift cards, the main office is accepting paper towels, toys and treats for dogs and cats, cat beds, bleach and liquid laundry detergent until Sept. 28 for donation to the Metro East Humane Society.

Rickey also founded Bizzie’s Lymphoma Cancer Foundation last year through Animal Rescue Club to help fund chemotherapy treatment in dogs after losing her 4-year-old dog, Bizzie, to the illness.

“Chemotherapy treatments are around $10,000, so it’s really hard for families to cure it,” Rickey said. “We’re raising the funds to pay off dogs’ cancer treatments at the Edwardsville Pet Hospital.”

Through selling Bizzie’s Lymphoma Cancer Foundation bracelets, the club has raised $800.

On Oct. 3 at Wang Gang, Animal Rescue Club will receive 10% of all checks that present their flyer. The proceeds will benefit Bizzie’s Lymphoma Cancer Foundation.

The club has a trivia night planned on Dec. 10. Members will also be selling candy cane grams in the lobby on Dec. 5-9.

“To someone who is considering joining, I would say if you like animals, want to help out shelters and get lots of volunteer hours, I would definitely join Animal Rescue Club,” co-vice president, senior Kaitlyn Smith said.

Hours spent volunteering with Animal Rescue Club can make being apart of other clubs and organizations like National Honor Society easier, and Rickey said it isn’t too late to join.

“We are always looking for people with new ideas.”