Winter Water Land Hits EHS

Wednesday, Feb. 26, EHS experienced quite the surprise.  Around 10:15 a.m. a pipe burst over the serving lines in the cafeteria causing a big mess for faculty and students.

At the end of third hour, Principal Dennis Cramsey announced that there would be a change of schedule for the day.  Fourth and fifth hour were switched, giving district employees time to clean up the mess and prepare for the modified lunch schedule.  The faculty handled this situation in an outstanding manner.

“When you have a great team of people working together, then when you have incidents like this, things will go much more smoothly,” Mr. Cramsey said.  “I was able to communicate quickly with the superintendent.”

Between both Dr. Hightower and Mr. Cramsey, the modified lunch schedule was confirmed immediately.

Both the director of facilities and the director of food service were called in as well.  The faculty got together and promptly and executed the plan in which they had proposed.

The school ordered pizzas and served them to students and staff free of charge.  Senior Sam Watts was impressed at the timeliness of the food deliveries.  “I think they did pretty well,” Watts said.  “I’m surprised that they got enough food for 2,000 kids within an hour of it breaking.”

Not only were maintenance workers on hand, but teachers also stepped up in the areas of need.  According to senior Anna Walschleger, math teacher John Meinzen directed students in the lunch line, which wrapped around the lobby and back towards the patio of the cafeteria.

“People kept trying to cut, which was rude, because the people that got there first had to wait even longer,” Walschleger said.  “Mr. Meinzen kept telling people to move to the back of the line.”  Walschleger was also happy that the teachers were there to help.  “I liked that they were there, otherwise it would have been mass chaos,” Walschleger said.

Brenden Heaton
Brenden Heaton, Staff Writer
Brenden Heaton is a senior at Edwardsville High School.  He enjoys photography, cinematography, and many other hobbies.  Brenden is playing goalkeeper for the EHS soccer team, as well as participating in other extra-curricular activities such as choir, AcaFellaz and drama club.  Brenden is also one of the technical advisers for the Friday Morning News Broadcast at EHS.  Brenden plans on going to school for a degree in cinematography and video production.